I learnt how to apply emulsion onto a screen. The screen is made up from a mesh pulled tightly across a mounted frame. The emulsion is dragged across the screen using a big scoop like tool. The screen must then be put into a dryer to dry the emulsion.
While waiting for my screen to dry, I created a design on clear film using black indian ink. This will be exposed onto the screen using the exposure unit. I decided to use flowers as I want to link it to my outside inside project some how.
This is the final design. I used my Dad’s gardening book which had images of flowers. The writing around it describes what I am doing in a very brief way. I like the hand written words as I think it gives it more of a diary feel.
After a few times of failing, I exposed my image for 1 minute which finally exposed the design. Before printing, I had to rinse out the image. The exposed image means the emulsion is weaker so the water washes away the emulsion. The rest of the emulsion stays on the mesh as normal to stop the paint coming through anywhere else apart from the image whilst printing. My screen is shown below. It is now to ready to start printing images.
I placed tape around the edges of the screen to stop paint coming through the mesh where the emulsion did not cover. Placing paper underneath the screen on the printing bench, I mixed up acrylic paint with PVA glue to print the image. To apply the paint, a squeegee is used to pull the paint down over the image. Screen printing is a quick way to get lots of prints in a short amount of time. Here are a few of the prints I made.
The process of creating a cyanotype was very easy. I used flowers and leaves from home and from the university to create the blue print.
First, I was taught how to create the photosensitive solution. This solution will be painted onto a surface that absorbs water such as paper or cloth. This makes the material photosensitive and allows objects/ photographs to be exposed. Once the solution was painted onto the receptive surface, it had to dry in a dark place.
The plants had to be exposed for 7 and a half minutes in the exposure unit, I used leaves/ cuttings from a bush. After the plants were exposed, the paper had to be put into water, turning the surface blue, but white where the plants were. To increase the blue and white, I just added milton sterilizing solution to the water and washed the paper again.
I was also introduced to the spray painting area. This was an extremely quick way to create work. I placed leaves onto paper and sprayed over them to get the outline of the leaf on the paper.